When: June 25, 2020, 11:30 a.m. check-in and lunch, session is from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Where: ISBA Mutual Offices, 20 S. Clark St., Ste. 800
What: Lunch and Learn: Civility: Difficult People and Conversations in the Workplace
Advance registration required.
Difficult people are everywhere. However, when they exist in the workspace, in the courts, and the clients with whom we work, it can create major issues which influence personal health and wellness. The legal field can be a very stressful work setting and adding hostile persons to the work environment can make it feel impossible to cope. This program will support attorneys, judges and law students in understanding the psychological, physical, and emotional impact of dealing with difficult people at work. Additionally, providing helpful skill sets to manage and minimize the negative impact these people and conversations have on us will also be provided. This presentation will provide skills and behaviors which will help you feel more empowered and in control while working with difficult people or engaging in difficult conversations.
- Understand the impact working with difficult people and engaging in difficult conversations can have on those in the legal profession;
- Understand that dealing with difficult people and situations can increase mental health problems and negative coping mechanisms;
- Learn how to minimize behaviors which create more problems in dealing with difficult people and conversations;
- Learn how to increase behaviors which place boundaries and limits on difficult people and difficult conversations and;
- Learn skills to help manage difficult people and engage in difficult conversations more effectively.
- Dr. Diana Uchiyama, JD, PsyD—Executive Director at the Lawyers’ Assistance Program
Every lawyer who attends this free lunch and learn will receive 1.00 hours of approved MCLE credit, which includes 1.00 hours of Mental Health & Wellness MCLE credit (currently pending approval).
Lunch will be provided.
This is part of a series of Lunch and Learns hosted by ISBA Mutual.